Monday 28 July 2014

Deja-Vu Doo with HDH

Long time, no see. My crafting mojo has been away on it's hols for a while and not a lot of projects have made it to completion, unfortunately. One project that did get completed is this altered book box. - well I did have 6 originally in my stash to work on. Two more, smaller, to go.
This one is for the challenge that started over at Haunted Design House today.

Deja-Vu Doo
The idea for this theme is to reuse a previous image, technique, paper, etc... that you have used recently, but in a new way.
My images are created using rubber stamps from the Smeared Ink "Nevermore" collection and a technique as described by Sheena Douglass using gesso and acrylic paint. See here for full instructions.


The images of Mr Poe, skull and the heart before attaching to the box. Pan pastels used to add an aged patina to the skull before applying gilding wax to the raised portions. The same gilding wax used for Mr Poe. The heart was given a red blood glistening effect using perfect pearls. The raven was coloured using perfect pearls.

The entire box was painted with black acrylic paint and the heart resides inside

 The outside of the box was then coated with decoart "weathered wood" before a coat of copper acrylic paint that has gold pan pastel added to it. This subtly changed the copper colour to old gold. Some areas were given a helping hand in the ageing process using that age old tool - my fingers. Rubbing some of the paint off when still tacky. 

The images all adhered using silicon glue. Some black pearls glued on. The silver cross was also given an aged look using pan pastels.

The challenge is on for the next two weeks - in what way will you use your stash in a different way?
Come show us over at Haunted Design House. Let's make the best use of our crafty bits and get more mileage out of it by using in a different way. Don't forget to check out the awesome projects made by the other minions for more inspiration.

Thanks for looking, hope to see you soon

3 comments:

  1. WoWza - that's really cool. !! LYV this look Cromsie. Glad to see you about again in Blogland.
    Hugz
    IKE xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what a way to make a comeback! This box, and that technique are amazing! I really like the metal effect the gilding wax gives the paint images. Brilliant work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although the halloween, goth stuff really isn't my scene, what you are doing with your materials is nothing short of stunning! Thanks for the link to Sheena Douglass' tutorial on this - definitely one to follow up. I discovered your blog through the Creative Blog Hop - I was nominiated by my friend Lucy, along with Sam and Fiona, so I thought I'd hop around and see what their nominees were up to! My main area is mixed media and I also do Zentangle and lots of other stuff besides. Hop over to me and have a look! I think this is a brilliant idea for discovering new blogs.

    Happy Hopping on the Creative Blog Hop.
    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete