Thursday, 21 July 2011

July Smeared 'n' Smudged Blog Hop

That time again when loads of us go running around blogland visiting each others blogs. This month over on the Smeared and Smudged Forum, the challenge was to "Alter Something". 3-d is the name of this game. Normal rules still applied in that there has to be some stamping (digi or rubber) somewhere on the project. I have both rubber and digi, so that aspect is covered.
This is my project this month.

It started off life as a "Barbie Chest of Drawers". All pink (and clear) plastic. Loads of Barbie stickers stuck all over by the previous owner and screaming at me for a make-over.
I started off by removing the handles and soaking it all to remove the stickers and sanding down all the pink plastic with some fine wet and dry sandpaper to provide a "key" for the next stage - some primer to cover that Barbie pink. Then came the acrylic paint, a couple of coats of purple.
Next, using a couple of pages from an old book (the book was already damaged beyond reading). These were treated to some colour using distress inks. Torn into strips and mod podged to a few places.
The top needed some thing to adorn it as well. For this I used the paper that was inspired by our GDT for the month - Steph. The challenge there was to create a BP using waxed paper, in my case, a bread wrapper. No waxed paper to be found in the UK it would seem, so improvisation had to be used. Similar to embossed resist method but using wax instead. Ironing some creased waxed paper onto glossy CS and then inking. The wax providing the resist. Onto this I stamped, masked and stamped some more. Using green stazon and one of my skull stamps. All edge punched with MS drippy goo punch and stuck down with more mod podge.
More fun comes on the front. I needed some new handles having discarded the pink ones. For these, I threaded some wire through some skulls in my stash and painted with glow in the dark modpodge (great stuff, love it). When dry threaded the wire through the preformed holes in the drawers securing on the inside. The digi is from Smeared Ink in honour of the skull appreciation day hop. These were coloured with promarkers and fussy cut out before adhering with more glow in the dark modpodge.

All five sections were then given a final coat to varnish and protect. The runners for the drawers were rubbed over with a bit of candle wax to ensure free movement then all sections put back together.

I have still to work out a method of attaching the feet I wanted to put on. A small drill bit will be required I think but haven't managed to lay my hands on one yet.

I left the drawers clear so that I can see at a glance what little bits are in each drawer and will now be used to store some of the small items I tend to hoard.

Now you've sat through that, please carry on and visit Ike who is next on the list.

Here's the full list, and if you've just happened upon this hop, please start at Terra's blog and take a wander round blogland with us. There's sure to be some awesome creations to be discovered.



Black Dragon






Helen - that's me



Lady Brayton

I'd like to enter this into one or two challenges
Stamp Insanity - Going Goth
Penny's Paper-Crafty Challenge Blog - Alter it
Clear It Out Challenge - Anything Goes


  1. WOWZA - AWESOME ... I can't find enough words for this amazing creation... it's GENIUS - LUV it :-D
    Ike xxx

  2. Wowzers! So much work involved here! Sanding, painting, fussy cutting...geeez! An AMAZING result, I must say. A vast improvement over Barbie pink...that's for sure!

    Thanks for hopping with Smeared and Smudged!

    Lady B

  3. This is awesome! I wondered what your project would be since you mentioned something that belonged to Barbie.:)

  4. Barbie would be shocked but I love those skull handles.

  5. You have worked to hard and boy does it show, your project is amazing, not only does it show you have a fab imagination, but it's practical too!!!! Love it!!!

    Fiona. x

  6. Helen what fantastic work I love this the skull handles are awesome
    Luv Jane xxx

  7. Awwwwwwwwww Helen... i was so sure you were gonna give Ken a make-over!
    I have about 10 sets of drawers similar to this.... if you start altering mine now you'll be done by christmas and i'll be as proud as punch.... i love these drawers...LOVE THEM ! Have i said i Love them? well i do...lots!
    You have such an imagination my friend.... can i wander around inside your head for 10 minutes please?
    Keep safe much love always xxx

  8. Helen... This is absolutely wonderful! I can NOT imagine Barbie Pink! LOL! I love this and the skull handles look like they have been made for this chest!!! Now that is really thinking outside the box! LOL! Thanks for inspiring me! Happy Creating! Sara

  9. Oh my! So much better than Barbie pink and you are amazing. I would never have thought something covered n stickers like that worth saving, but THIS is a treasure!!!

  10. wow it must look so much better this way than it use to be (in barbie pink ....brrrr) it looks awesome and i love the little skulls as knobs

  11. Fun fun fun! Love this project and all the littel details you've added to it. And your paper looks awesome, I wouldn't have guessed that you didn't use wax paper.

  12. as i said on the forum, this ROCKS!! awesome job, and I love the skully knobs! (yes GITD MP is awesome)

  13. oh this is just too cute!, thanks for joining us at Clear It Out

  14. truly amazing project! Thanks for joining us at Penny's and good luck! :-) Amy

  15. Hello.
    This is a beautiful piece of work. Looks really gothic. Wicked :-)
    Thanks for sharing and joining us at Penny's Challenges. Good Luck.

  16. What a great project!! Thanks for playing along this week for our "Alter it" Challenge at Penny's!! Good Luck!!