Friday, 23 May 2014

An Altered Book Box

Good day to you all. I have been working on this box for a couple of days now. Drying time added to the wait before it was totally done. I have used the Rick St Dennis image Pierrot Masque.
The colours chosen were inspired by the challenge over at the Graph-It challenge blog - Oranges and Lemons. This led me onto a challenge for me. Could I colour the image using just 3 colours? I don't have any orange graphit pens, but I do have one red 5240, one yellow 1170 and a brown 3160. These together with the blender pen and some school day art in the background (red and yellow make orange) and I came up with this.
Not too shabby I think
The box I chose to alter is one of those that looks like a book. Painted first with a wash of  Quin Gold decoart paint and a background design cut from yellow paper using a cut file from Bird's cards.stuck on.
The front has some satin ribbon, pleated as I went with some gems stuck on to keep those pleats flat. Then a medallion with the images face stuck in with glossy accents and some smaller gems added.

The back just has the image stuck on using gel medium

The spine covered in more ribbon

The "leaves of the book" were coloured with bronze pan pastel mixed with gel medium
and the spine ribbons neatened off with some glittery orange/white paper from my scrap box

I'd like to enter my altered box into the challenge at
Graph-It Marker Challenges - Oranges and Lemons


  1. Wow!! Fabulous!! Love the colour combo! Thanks for joining us at the Orange and Lemon challenge at - good luck!

  2. What a lovely make, it's fab!. Thanks for joining in our Oranges and Lemons challenge at
    Anjie (DT)

  3. A beautiful project, really inspiring. It looks like so much care went into the making of this box... I wonder if I could make one...