Sunday 10 June 2012

For My Boy

It was my son's 24th birthday yesterday. Wow, only seems like yesterday .........Where'd that time go?
Anyway, had to make him a card, didn't I!
He is a fan of my darker side, which is handy and more than once has suggested a thing or two. I wanted the card to remind him of his planned camping trip though. He, his fiancĂ©e and a couple more mates have been planning this trip for weeks. But, as so many times, the weather here in Scotland decided to take a turn for the worse. Friday, when they set off, was overcast. I did warn them of the forecast and promised "if  needed, I would come and get them". Well, when the tent started to fill with the rain water yesterday, the call came. Four very wet and cold people had to admit defeat. Such a shame.
This card, therefore, is very apt in the circumstances, I think.
I used the sketch over at Rogue Redhead Designs and heat embossed the TH umbrella man onto white card and stamped the sentiment using brushed corduroy DI. Tore round the edged and ink distressed with wild honey and a touch more brushed corduroy. I was going for the "light at the end of the tunnel" look. This was layered with pads onto a deckle edged piece of brown then sandpaper distressed orange bassil cs. the orange has more ink - this time using walnut stain. The yellow was embossed after rubbing the walnut stain over the folder for that muddy look I wanted. Some orange hand made paper and more walnut. Three brads for the corners mounted onto the card base. You must know this also saw the ink. A heat embossed sentiment with just the wild honey DI with more padded tape to fix.

More camping is planned. After the weather clears up!

one or two challenges I'd like to enter this into
Rogue Redhead Designs - their sketch
Hotshot Craft - Use those distress inks
Amusing Challenges - Heat/Wet embossing

11 comments:

  1. What a fabulously apt and very creative card, Helen. I love the image and the colours and textures you've used in this composition are just perfect.
    Great work
    Crafty hugs, Sheenagh x

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww what a shame their trip was a wash out, lovely card though, i hope he had a nice birthday despite it all x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a shame for them :(

    Love this card and I hope he had a fab Birthday inspite of the weather. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am still giggling about you rescuing them from the flooded tent. ;) Love the card. Have you ever heard of Thomas Kincade (The painter of light)? The quality of the light in this card reminded me of his artwork. It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card, so sorry the tent flooded.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful as always! I absolutely love your work!! Hope their next outing turns out much better for them. Love and miss ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww poor guys,at least they had someone to come get them a lot of parents would have let them suffer. Brilliant card so elegant and classy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous card! Love your great take on the sketch!

    Thanks for playing the Tilt It, Baby Rebel Challenge at RRD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you've used the sketch, I especially love the torn edges on the main piece, and those colours are yummy. Thanks for playing the Tilt It Rebel challenge at RRD, Debi x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous use of texture! love what you did with the sketch. Thanks for playing at Rogue Redhead Designs :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure he'll have lots of stories now for his birthday but it is a shame to end up rained out. Love your card! Thank you so much for playing in my Amusing Challenges.

    ReplyDelete